A blend of a variety of herbs and spices to prepare a sweet yet spicy mix for the infamous Gujrati dish famous from Western India.
• In a bowl of water, peel, rinse and place the other veggies – 10 to 12 baby potatoes, 1 medium sweet potato, 1.5 to 2 cups chopped purple yam. Also keep 8 to 10 small brinjals. Note that the only the upper stalk of the brinjals have been removed and they have not been slit.
• Take 1 cup tightly packed methi leaves, finely chopped and 1 cup besan or gram flour in a mixing bowl.
• Add a pinch of baking soda, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tbsp oil, ¾ to 1 tsp sugar or add as required, ½ tsp salt or add as required and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
• Take ½ cup tightly packed grated coconut and 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves or ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves in another mixing bowl.
• Crush to a paste, 1 to 1.5 inch ginger, 8 to 10 garlic cloves and 2 to 3 green chilies.
• Add 2 tbsp sesame seeds, ½ tbsp ginger paste, ½ tbsp garlic paste or green garlic chives paste, ½ tbsp green chili paste, ¼ to ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, 3 tsp coriander powder, 3 tsp AHURA UNDHIYU MASALA, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar ¾ to 1 tsp salt.
• Mix very well and then check the taste of the green masala.
• Give a criss cross slit to the brinjals, potatoes, raw bananas and stuff the masala in it. Keep the stuffed veggies aside. Some stuffing masala will be left. Keep this aside.
• Heat 4 to 5 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add ½ tsp ajwain or carom seeds & ½ tsp cumin seeds. Stir and fry the ajwain and cumin seeds till they change their color. A few seconds. Now add the stringed and podded beans. Now add half a portion of the leftover coconut masala.
• Then place the chopped purple yam in a neat layer.
• Then make another layer of chopped unripe bananas and sweet potato.
• Now sprinkle ¼ of the coconut masala evenly. Don’t stir.
• Make a next layer of the stuffed brinjals and potatoes.Now gently place the prepared methi muthia in a layer. Sprinkle 2 to 3 pinches of salt all over.Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 2 whistles or for 8 to 10 minutes.When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and gently mix everything without breaking the stuffed veggies.While serving if you want, you can garnish with chopped coriander leaves or some grated coconut. Serve undhiyu with pooris.
• A favourite gujarati and kathiyawadi receipe.
Shelf Life - 12 months.
- Storage Information - Store in a cool and dry place.
- Ingredients -MINT LEAVES, STONE FLOWER, KASURI METHI, CURRY LEAVES, CORIANDER, CUMIN, CHILLY, GREEN ELAICHI, TURMERIC, CLOVE, BAY LEAVES, BLACK PEPPER, STARANISE, SALT, FENNEL, TRIFLA, CARWAY SEED, MACE, BIG CARDAMOM, MUSTARD, FENUGREEK, GINGER, ASAFOETIDA, DRY MANGO, DRY COCONUT, CELERY, CASSIA, SESAME