Parsi Dhansak Recipe
- Parsi Dhansak Masala
- 1/2 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- 1/2 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split)
- 1/2 cup Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 50 grams Methi Leaves (Fenugreek Leaves) , roughly chopped
- 20 Mint Leaves (Pudina) , roughly chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 2 Small Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , diced
- 1 cup Kaddu (Parangikai/ Pumpkin) , diced
- 2 Turnips , diced
- 1 Onions , thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 Onion , thinly sliced
- 2 Tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon Oil , or ghee
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Salt , to taste
- Water , as required
- To begin making the Vegetable Dhansak Recipe, we will first get all the ingredients ready.
- Wash and roughly chop all the vegetables. Pick fenugreek leaves, mint leaves, wash and chop them. Keep these aside.
- Soak all the 3 dals separately for about 30 minutes.
- Once soaked, place all three dals, vegetables, fenugreek leaves and mint leaves along with 1 thinly sliced onion, green chili and a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a pressure cooker. Add salt, and 3 cups of water. Cover the pressure cooker and cook until you hear 2 whistles. After 2 whistles turn the heat to low and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally from the cooker. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid of the pressure cooker and mash all the ingredients using a potato masher until all the dals and vegetables get a smooth texture.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil or ghee. Add the other thinly sliced onions and sauté until it turns soft. Next add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turns soft and releases its juices.
- Stir in the dhansak masala powder and cook until the raw smell of the powder is gone. This would take about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the dal vegetable mashed mixture into this masala and cook on low heat for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Once well simmered, turn of the heat and squeeze in the lemon juice and add in the chopped coriander leaves. Stir well and the Vegetable Dhansak is ready.
- Serve the Vegetable Dhansak along with brown rice or a Homemade Butter Naan for a wholesome weeknight dinner.